The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Wednesday that the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda carries a high risk at national and regional levels but a low risk globally, and does not meet the criteria for a pandemic emergency.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said an Emergency Committee agreed with his earlier assessment that the outbreak qualifies as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), though not a pandemic-level threat.
The outbreak has so far recorded 51 confirmed cases in parts of eastern DRC, with additional suspected cases and deaths reported across affected regions. Uganda has also confirmed cases linked to cross-border movement from the DRC.
Tedros said the WHO is deploying personnel, supplies, and funding to support response efforts, including emergency financing to help contain the spread and prevent further fatalities.
Credit : CGTN